Embedded Software Engineer
Gatekeeper Systems, Inc. is the global leader in retail loss prevention, operations management, and analytics with headquarters in southern California. As an essential business, for over 20 years, we have led the industry with innovative technologies and top-notch customer service, while minimizing risks to customers and security personnel.
We are seeking a Embedded Software Engineer. The ideal candidate can contribute as a software developer for IoT Edge Devices. This position will require full design responsibility, from requirements through validation. There will be extensive collaboration with experienced team members and expert third party developers. Along with performing design and development duties, this position will also require data gathering and organizing for system analysis. Extensive development of systems in our lab facility as well as testing and troubleshooting on live trial sites in the field will be required. Full ownership of software will be required, including sustaining support and bug fixes. Close work and collaboration with the test team will also be required to integrate new software applications into the CI/CD pipeline.
Gatekeeper Systems, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to developing a diverse workforce and cultivating an inclusive environment. We value diversity and believe that we are strengthened by the differences in our experiences, thinking, culture, and background. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any protected basis.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for embedded systems development from conception through production; including requirements definition, algorithm development, firmware design, coding, test, debug and release
- Develop new systems utilizing embedded Linux platforms
- Development of firmware and software utility tools
- Develop embedded firmware for use in low power wireless communications and control
- Develop new firmware applications for multiple products and optimize existing firmware
- Develop tools to help validate the design; collect and analyze the data, investigate problem reports, determine root cause and recommend solutions, participate in technical reviews of the product hardware/firmware/software requirements, and generate and document the firmware for release
- Optimize power consumption and footprint of firmware
- Design and implement optimized RF communications protocols
- Create detailed requirements and design documentation
- Support product integration
- Quickly identify problem root cause and work closely with SQA for timely release
- Maintain accurate bug tracking
- Approve test and validation methods and plans for the firmware applications
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- 5+ years’ experience in embedded software design and development
- Highly proficient in embedded Linux development
- Experience with embedded Linux platforms including custom uboot, kernel, rootfs (BSP)
- Low power systems design and development
- Complex software design and development
- Extremely proficient with C, C++, Python, and other software environments.
- Knowledge and experience with wireless systems and protocols
- Deep analytical and mathematical foundation
- IoT product development
- Strong desire for application of new technologies
- Experience using bug tracking and version control tools. (Jira & Bitbucket/Git desirable)
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to quickly learn new skills and adapt to project needs
- Willing to work off-hours or night shifts on occasion.
- Ability to work on equipment in limited access spaces such as above ceiling tiles or under work
- May require travel in United States and/or abroad
- EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- BSEE, MSEE, BSCS, or MSCS
This Job Description is a general overview of the requirements for the position. It is not designed to contain, nor should it be interpreted as being all inclusive of every task which may be assigned or required. It is subject to change, in alignment with company/department needs and priorities. Presence of the job description or role does not guarantee employment.
Please click here to apply directly.
Would you like to learn more about Gatekeeper Systems?Click Here to learn more›